Ableton Live Tutorial: How to Install MIDI Remote Scripts
Even though Ableton Live comes with a lot of MIDI remote scripts aka Control Surfaces, there will be times when you have to install one yourself. Some controllers require a special script to be installed and there are also a lot of helpful user scripts you might want to employ.
Installing a MIDI remote script is simple enough if you know where. Here’s how it’s done:
- Unzip the file if necessary by right-clicking the folder in the Windows Explorer, click ‘Extract All’, and then follow the instructions.
- Select the whole folder with the command Ctrl + A, then copy them with Ctrl + C.
- Now navigate to C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts and paste it in with Ctrl + V.
- Once you open Live, go to the Preferences>MIDI/Sync with Ctrl + , and choose the MIDI remote script as the Control Surface and the Input and Output of the controller you want to use it with (some scripts don’t require the Input and/or Output to be set. Check their instructions). Done.
Mac OS X
- Unzip the file by double-clicking it, if necessary.
- Select the folder itself with the command Cmd + A, then copy it with Cmd + C.
- Now navigate to Ableton Live in your Applications folder, right-click (or Ctrl-click) it and select ‘Show Package Contents’, then go to Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts and paste it with Cmd + V.
- Once you open Live, go to the Preferences>MIDI/Sync with Cmd + , and choose the MIDI remote script as the Control Surface and the Input and Output of the controller you want to use it with (some scripts don’t require the Input and/or Output to be set. Check the instructions first.).
Simple enough, isn’t it? Do you have questions or comments? Type away.
There are plenty more Ableton Live tutorials where this one came from.