So you've found a great Max for Live device that does what you want, but one or more parameters can't be automated or mapped. This is fairly often the case and I keep getting emails about this, so I'm going to show you how you might be able to remedy this quickly yourself. As long as these parameters are set up as live objects* in Max, you can easily fix this without any programming knowledge in just a few steps.
I'm going to show you step by step how it's done with the example of the Convolution Reverb Pro that is available for free from Ableton.
- In the Max for Live device press the Edit button (third from the right in the title bar). This will open the Max editor and show the device in Live with a white overlay indicating that it is inactive in Live.
- Now click on the snowflake icon in the Max window in the lower left if it's blueish. This will unfreeze the device and thus allow editing it.
- In the Max menu go to File and click on "Save as" (or Cmd + Shift +S on Mac, Ctrl + Shift + S on Windows) to save the device under a different name.
- Select the parameter you want to change with a mouse click (e.g. the Decay) and then on the right click on the i (Inspector).
- Make sure "All" is selected in the top right of the Inspector panel.
- Check in the top left of the Inspector panel what kind of object it is. It should be one of the live.objects*. You can enlarge the Max window by clicking and dragging the sides or corners.
- If the "Parameter" options aren't visible yet, click on the little triangle next to it to unfold them.
- Scroll down to "Modulation Mode" and choose something other than None (more info under Parameter Modulation).
- Scroll all the way down and select "Automated and Stored" for "Parameter Visibility".
- Repeat steps 4 to 9 for further parameters if applicable.
- Now click on the snowflake again to freeze the device.
- Save the device with Cmd + S (Mac) or Ctrl + S (Windows) and close the Max window or press the Edit button in the device in Live again to leave the edit mode and make the Max for Live device usable in the Live Set.
*This doesn't works with all live objects, but most. It works as described above for live.dial, live.box, live.gain~ and live.slider objects. It also works with live.button and live.tab objects, but you can skip step 8, since they don't have an entry for "Modulation Mode".
Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
This way for heaps more Max for Live devices & tips.